At Newham PRUs we offer a wide range of GCSE and Vocational Pathways.
Tunmarsh offers students the opportunity to study both GCSEs and BTECS.
We offer 8 GCSEs including:
- English Literature
- English Language
- Double Science (2 GCSEs)
- Art and Design
- Religious Studies
- Business Studies
We also deliver:
- BTEC Level 1 & 2 in Home Cooking Skills
- VCert Levels 1 & 2 in Health and Fitness
We are able to support students to successfully complete studies in additional GCSE subjects including MFL, Sociology and History.
New directions school
At New Directions PRU we offer students the option of a Vocational pathway in addition to full GCSEs in English Language and Maths.
Learning at New Directions provides hands-on practical training combined with academic teaching. Students will learn through practical experiences and quality work experience.
The Vocational offer includes BTECS in:
- BTEC Level 1 Certificate in Business
- BTEC Level 1 Certificate in Art and Design
- BTEC Level 1 and 2 in Home Cooking Skills
BTEC Level 1 Certificate and Award in Performing Arts
- BTEC Level 1 Award in Sports and Active Leisure
- BTEC Level 1 Award in Land Based Studies
- AQA Science Award
We also offer vocational qualifications in:
- Hair & Beauty
- Cycle Maintenance
- Vehicle Mechanics
As part of the Key Stage 4 Curriculum, students are supported to become involved with external enterprise and industry projects supporting them to develop the necessary skills and experience to prepare them for work and future life.
Staff work closely with students on developing and pursuing practical projects with an emphasis on building communication, teamwork and self-management skills. Our focus on academic as well as technical subjects helps students to develop the skills they need for the jobs they want.
Our Transition and Progression team provide high levels of support for all students ensuring the best possible information, advice and guidance encourages and inspires students to make informed decisions about their future career aspirations, and to help students to complete applications for all future post 16 Employment, Education and Training (EET) Opportunities
Our Key Stage 4 curriculum offers:
- Innovative and active learning relating directly to ‘real work’
- High quality teaching from qualified staff
- Excellent links with local employers and colleges
- A clear line of sight to the world of work and future career progression opportunities
- High quality careers education and advice
- Expert support, advice and mentoring to help expand horizons and encourage aspiration.
At Newham PRUs we strive to provide a caring, friendly and safe environment for all of our students so that they can learn in a calm and secure atmosphere. We believe every student should be able to participate in all school activities to their best abilities in an enjoyable and secure space and be protected from harm. This is the responsibility of all adults employed or invited to deliver services at Newham PRUs. We recognise our responsibility to safeguard and promote the welfare of all our pupils by protecting them from physical, sexual or social abuse, neglect and bullying. We are a safe school and we ensure that our students learn, share and grow together.
In order to meet the individual education needs of pupils at Newham PRUs, the school works closely with a number of linked agencies. Agencies include:
- Speech & Language Therapist
- Educational Psychologists
- School Nurses
- Child & Adolescent Mental Health Team
- Children’s Social Care
- School’s Police Team
- LBN Looked after Children Virtual School
- LBN SEND 0-25 Team
- Newham RPA (Raising the Participation Age) Team - Careers Advice and Support
- Prospects & ShawTrust - Career Development Agencies
- 15Billion NEBP - Work Experience Providers